Feb 01, 2021
With our areas first big snowstorm this year, we want to make sure you and your families are cautious and safe with a few Winter Storm Tips:
Prepare your vehicle for severe weather:
- Make sure you have sand/salt/combo/synthetic traction materials to get out of slippery spots
- Keep a shovel, brush, and scraper on hand
- Make sure the gas tank is full
- Make sure wiper fluid is topped off
- Remove all snow and ice from the vehicle, including rooftop
During Storm conditions:
- Use a solid 3-point stance when entering/exiting your vehicle, both cab and cargo areas
- Always keep headlights on
- Operate vehicles at low speed - on back streets, main roads, and highways. When other drivers speed, you don’t have to.
- Increase following distance by at least 2X (6 second following distance). It’s okay if others pull in front of you, just always maintain increased distance. This will provide enough space to bring your vehicle to a stop if a collision happens in front of you.
- Do not jam or pulsate brakes. Use firm pressure to come to a gradual stop. Our vehicles have anti-lock brakes, so constant pressure on the brake is best.
- Turn into a skid. It’s instinct to turn the steering wheel away from the skid, but you will lose control. Turning into the skid will straighten your vehicle and give you a chance to avoid a collision.
- Do not stop on an incline, if possible. Rear-wheel drive vehicles can spin out.
- When parked on a side of the street, use sand/salt to get out before back-skidding into a snowbank.