EPA Prep Class and Testing
Section 608 Certification for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
Section 608 of the Federal Clean Air Act requires that all persons who maintain, service, repair, or dispose of appliances that contain regulated refrigerants be certified in proper refrigerant handling techniques.
The EPA has also placed a sales restriction on refrigerants, limiting the sale of regulated refrigerants to certified technicians only.
EPA Certification Exam Format
EPA Regulations require the test to be a 'closed book' proctored exam. The only outside materials allowed are a temperature/pressure chart, scratch paper and a calculator.
The certification exam contains 4 sections:
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III
There are four categories of certification:
Each exam section contains 25 multiple choice questions. The technician must achieve a passing score of 70% in each Type in which they are to be certified.
- All technicians must pass the CORE section before receiving any certification.
- A technician seeking certification must correctly answer 18 out of 25 questions on the CORE and at least one other section of the exam.
- A technician seeking Universal certification must correctly answer 18 out of 25 questions on each section of the exam.
Exam Preparation Materials
- The ESCO Institute Section 608 EPA Prep Manual Covers all questions contained on the EPA exam.
- The book is clear, concise and has been used by hundreds of thousands of students and technicians alike to successfully prepare for the EPA Universal technician exam.
- An audio version of the Section 608 Certification Exam Prep Manuel on audio disc.
EPA Training Fees:
- Preparation Manual: $13
- Testing Fee: $50
- Preparation Session with instructor: $100
Fill out the form below to be contacted regarding our EPA Certification training programs or email our instructor directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.